Friday, October 31, 2008

FROM ONE PUMPKIN TO ANOTHER

A woman was asked by a coworker, 'What is it like to be a Christian?' The coworker replied, 'It's like being a pumpkin. God picks you from the patch, brings you in, and washes all of the dirt off of you. Then he cuts off the top and scoops out all of the yucky stuff. He removes the seeds of doubt, hate, and greed. Then he carves you a new smiling face and puts his light inside of you to shine for all the world to see.'

That little message was printed on our Relief Society handout on Sunday. I had never read that before and I really enjoyed it. So although many of you may think I'm weird, I thought I would share my pumpkin carving experience with you. First the kids decided what they wanted the end result to be, and carefuly drew their faces. It was fun to see their creativity. Then as they cut into the top to start taking all the seeds out, this thought popped into my head and I couldn't help but start to imagine what it was like in Heaven when Heavenly Father started the process of "picking" us. He picked us at just the right time. He knew what he needed us to do for him, so he went to work, creating his masterpiece. As my kids started digging inside to remove "all the yucky stuff" I was overwhelmed with the spirit as I realized how often I turn to my Father in Heaven to remove all my "yucky stuff", and how greatful I am that he is willing to do it time after time. Every time he does, it seems that he always puts "a new smiling face" and a brighter "light to shine". Carving a pumpkin takes time and patience. Two of which I dont seem to have much of. I am so thankful for this experience.

As my kids worked on their "masterpieces" , again, I was overwhelmed with the idea of them being creators, and working toward their own eternal glories. I love the Gospel and the simpleness of it! I love the fact that we have such a loving and forgiving Father in Heaven who is always there to watch over us and to help us keep his light shining within us for all to see. HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

1 comments:

Rachey-Foo said...

wow, heather. i totally got goosebumps reading your post. thank you, thank you for sharing this! i needed it. i am such a party pooper about halloween. but i am going to save this and remind myself every halloween that i am just a pumpkin.

you're awesome.
love ya!!